So there are probably still people who aren't convinced that humans accelerated the rate of global climate change. They're silly.
A more interesting question to me is: How will global climate change affect humans?
I ask this because it's been snowing in the Heart of Dixie some recently. Like last night for instance. I would never have known, except that I was at my community choir rehearsal, and during our break, someone looked outside and discovered there was a little white stuff blowing around in the air.
We got called back from break, sang for maybe another ten minutes, and then got dismissed early so we could get home safely. No kidding.
Now, mind you, it wasn't really even snowing. It was flurrying. Nothing was staying on the ground really, and it wasn't all that wet. I would have bet money that if we'd stayed the whole time, no one would have gotten into a weather-related accident on the way home. When I woke up in the middle of the night, there was a slight dusting on the top of my car, but it was gone when I got up this morning.
In the last few weeks, schools have cancelled class three times. Of those three, two were false alarms. Which is to say, they cancelled the night before, because of a threat of snow, rather than waiting till the next day when they might have discovered that there wasn't any snow. Except that even if they'd waited, they probably would have convinced themselves it would start blizzarding as soon as they got the kids to school. On the actual snow day, they probably had about 6 inches max, which probably would have been an issue, if mostly because people are so freaked by it. Roads were closed.
Now, I understand that making those calls is really hard, and they have all sorts of pressures to contend with. It is especially weird here because so many parents drive their kids to school, rather than them all coming on a school bus. (Whole other complicated issue for another day.)
But here's what I wonder: If this is a new trend, that is, if we start having multiple snow days each year, will their standards change? How many "snowy" winters will it take before municipal governments invest in the equipment to clear the roads? How many "snow" days will it take before people are accustomed enough that they stop letting a tiny bit of weather control their lives?
I have often wondered how the difference in climate affects the cultural differences between Southerners and Northerners. If climate change reduces the weather differences, perhaps we will have a way of measuring that.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment