Saturday, April 17, 2010

Socially Unacceptable Thoughts about Weather Events

I know that the ash plume from the volcano in Iceland is causing all sorts of havoc with people's lives and potentially a health threat to people who need to breathe and stuff...

But there's part of me that roots for Nature when it does things that prove that we truly aren't in control.

The media reports I've seen have mentioned previous ash events of this scale. The difference is that they all happened before global air travel. I just saw that President Obama has had to cancel his trip to the funeral of the president of Poland.

Why should we ever assume our lives won't be disrupted? I mean, on the other hand, I'm not a huge proponent of "readiness" as it's called around here. I don't stockpile food and water, and I never got my plastic sheeting in case the local chemical weapons incinerator blows up.

But still. The earth is a lot bigger than us. It can do whatever it wants. (To completely inappropriately anthropomorphize it. But you know what I mean.) And sometimes we just have to deal the best we can. I should tell you the story about driving 19 miles in and 19 miles out of Indiana in 11 hours sometime.

Meanwhile, a friend in Germany, whose wife is Icelandic, is enjoying the lack of air traffic over their house. Less noise, he says.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

My mother is convinced that the earth is saying, "No more! No more roads, no more people, no more chemicals....stop it already!"

I kind of like it.