So I've occasionally looked at a painting and thought, "What a bizarre position for that person to be in! Nobody ever really stands/sits/lies around that way! What silly painters!"
But I'm realizing I should probably reserve judgment. Because I've noticed that sometimes when I'm tired or spaced out, I'll be in a totally weird "unnatural" position that isn't even comfortable, but I ended up that way for some reason and just stayed there, till the moment when I come to my senses and think, "Why am I sitting/standing/holding my arm this way? It's making me hurt/stiff/get tired."
And then I think of all those paintings and wonder. Did the artist realize it was a weird, uncomfortable, "unnatural" position? Were they trying to evoke those weird moments when our brain has left our body to its own devices for a few seconds? Or are they really just not very good painters who didn't do it on purpose?
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment