For some unknown reason, a memory has been rattling around in my head lately. Over the weekend, I was at a retreat, participating in a workshop, and at the beginning of one activity, the leader said, "You're going to be timed."
And the first thing that popped into my head was the horrible memory of my first timed times table test in third grade.
I was a smart kid. Math was not my forte, but I did okay. I even TA'ed a math class my senior year of high school. But I wouldn't say I'm fast at multiplication. And I hate being rushed.
So the memory that has been bugging me ever since the weekend is this: We had to do these multiplication table tests in third grade. There were 100 problems, in three columns on a legal size sheet of paper. I think it was that we had to get as many done as we could in a certain amount of time. 3 minutes? 5 minutes? I don't remember.
What I do remember is that the first time I took one of these tests, I was so freaked out that my multiplying ability was basically paralyzed and my arms started sweating so much that by the time the teacher called out to stop, my paper was soaked. It was insane.
I'm trying to imagine what the pedagogical purpose of such a test might be. I suppose it's a good thing to know your times tables automatically. But does such an exercise really help with that?
There is part of me that would like to try to take one now. I'm not sure I'd be much better at it today than I was then. After that first one, I did fine. But the memory of the fear and pain of the first one never went away. I. Do. Not. Like. Being. Rushed. Especially with math.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment